It’s that time of year again! With the holidays upon us, it’s the perfect time to celebrate the silly season with your fur babies.
Whether your pet is on Santa Paws’ naughty or nice list, they can be just as excited by the extra festivities which take place over Christmas and New Year’s Eve as you are. So much so that they may even volunteer to help you water the tree.
While pets often love having extra quality time to spend with their families, the holidays also bring a number of risks and dangers to your pets.
We’ve compiled a list of these dangers to help mitigate any unwanted trips to the vet so you can spend more time celebrating the year that’s been.
Tinsel, Ribbon, and Decoration Dangers
A lot of fun to play with, but it can cause intestinal obstruction if ingested. Keep decorative ornaments out of reach of your pets.
Christmas Tree Troubles
We all love a beautiful Christmas tree; however, it can pose a danger to our pets. Make sure to securely anchor the tree to prevent it from falling over and injuring your pet. Prevent your pet from drinking the tree water, as it may contain fertilizer or bacteria which can lead to tummy upsets.
Consider battery-operated lights instead of candles to protect your pet from burning and avoid a fire hazard. If candles are a must, don’t ever leave them unattended.
The corrosive substances in batteries can cause ulceration to your pet’s tongue, mouth and intestines if chewed or ingested.
An electric cord, if chewed, can deliver a potentially lethal electric shock and should be covered or hidden away.
Let’s steer clear of the pet emergency room by avoiding the following dangerous foods: chocolate, foods sweetened with xylitol, fatty or spicy human foods, bones, and alcoholic drinks. Keep pets away from unattended food plates or a set table and secure garbage bin lids.
Mistletoe and Holly, if ingested, can cause severe gastrointestinal upset. Make sure to choose pet-safe plants for the Christmas bouget or keep them out of reach.
Some Peace and Quiet
A house full of guests can be pretty intimidating to a shy pet, so make sure they have a comfortable, quiet place to retreat to, where they can take a break from all the activity.
Pets can be terrified of fireworks and loud bangs: they should be secured in an escape-proof, safe and quiet area before New Year’s noise becomes overwhelming.
With guests coming and going, there is always a chance your pet might escape. Be careful when opening doors or gates and keep an eye on your pet. To help you find him if he escapes, make sure he is microchipped and wearing an identification tag.
All in all, it is best to ensure your pet is supervised whenever it is interacting with new people or a new environment. Keep telephone numbers for your veterinarian, the local emergency veterinarian, and the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Centre handy so that you can be prepared for whatever comes your way.
Happy holidays from all of us in the VitaPet team.